- Is there a better PSF player for Linux? by RukarioGyiyg996 at 11:05 PM EDT on June 2, 2016
- I'm looking for a PSF1 PSF2 player with accurate audio emulation and plays files forever until I tell it to stop.
Prefer to run from a console but will accept it as a plugin for Audacious or whatever else.
- by hcs at 11:54 PM EDT on June 2, 2016
- Better than what? Don't know much about the quality issue myself.
edited 12:00 AM EDT June 3, 2016
- by jimbo1qaz at 12:40 AM EDT on June 3, 2016
- one easy way to tell if a PSF1 player is accurate:
Listen to "Chrono Cross - Time/Dreamwatch" (title varies by region?)
Under Audacious (Linux) and foo_psf, the song is missing a cymbal crash at 0:22, when the flute transitions into violin.
foo_qpsf emulates that crash accurately. However, it depends on nonfree PSF firmware. (is that why it's not included in audacious?)
(Another bug in Audacious psf: The seek function jumps to the wrong position. Likely related, when you try to play a song, it starts several seconds in.)
This checks if the firmware is emulated accurately. Are there any other emulation inaccuracies?
edited 12:41 AM EDT June 3, 2016
edited 12:42 AM EDT June 3, 2016
- by Kirishima at 2:27 AM EDT on June 3, 2016
- I could've sworn there wasn't any accurate psf emulator, at least sound wise. Reverb does not sound right to me.
- by Lunar at 11:09 AM EDT on June 3, 2016
- One issue I can report is that Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon is completely screwed up for me - using AOPSF 2.1.9 in foobar2000. I do not know at what point this issue occurred, but this set used to play without problems.
- by jimbo1qaz at 7:13 PM EDT on June 3, 2016
- aopsf url here: https://www.hcs64.com/mboard/forum.php?showthread=42684
I couldn't find any foobar2000 plugin though.
- by kode54 at 9:08 PM EDT on June 3, 2016
- foo_psf was switched over to AOPSF at some point, and foo_qpsf was created to carry on the original library.
- by RukarioGyiyg996 at 11:17 PM EDT on June 3, 2016
- Better than Audacious because the plugin is stupid. There's no configuration I can't tell it to ignore timing tags and play forever, I can't configure literally ANY ASPECT of the playback.
It would be really nice if it was commandline driven, doesn't have to be anything special I just want my songs to play forever until I tell it to stop.
And some things sound weird compared to hearing it in an actual emulator running a accurate audio plugin.
- by kode54 at 5:51 PM EST on January 11, 2017
- Please try AOPSF again, with a portable install if preferred. There have been numerous changes to it since 2.1.9.
It's now called foo_input_aopsf, and the original foo_psf is still foo_psf.
- by jimbo1qaz at 11:07 PM EST on January 15, 2017
- Fun fact: Many PSFs themselves are ripped with inaccurate channel volumes and/or reverb.
HCS Forum Index
Go to Page 0 1
Search this thread
Show all threads
Reply to this thread:
Halley's Comet Software
Generated in 0.0136s;