- by Brightstar at 6:57 AM EST on March 6, 2021
- VGMToolbox has been a great tool for decrypting audio however I’m running into an issue now. I’m not sure if something is happening with the key randomly in some of these files but when I go to decrypt some of the music from Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis randomly some of the music is coming out corrupted. It plays fine within the game but it’s just a digital audio mess when played back. Most segments are fine and don’t have any issues.
The song begins as a compressed .cpk (231c67721735cad54dbccde2317e50) file which is then uncompressed into the multi-segment track. From there I load up foobar2000 with the VGMToolBox plugin to then convert the .hca files into .wav. Randomly the conversion fails and gives me digital garbage instead.
(Maybe this is part of the problem but the regular VGMToolBox.exe gets stuck in an endless loop of trying to extract the .hca and instead it fails and just creates a folder with the same .hca inside of it.)
I’ve set up a share folder an example. https://easyupload.io/ng450x These files combine into a single track when played in order (so just throw them into a playlist.) In this case the following came out corrupted.
etamb t138 b4 028
etamb t138 b4 036
etamb t138 b4 089
etamb t138 b4 096
etamb t138 b4 106
etamb t138 b4 114
Any idea what might be happening and if a fix can be done?
- by Brightstar at 11:29 AM EST on March 6, 2021
- My mistake, earlier I referred to a VGMToolBox foobar2000 plugin, I meant to say VGMStream there.
- by bnnm at 12:09 PM EST on March 6, 2021
- HCA are encrypted, and vgmstream tries to figure out which key is better for the file.
Since some of those segments are rather noisy (clip a lot) key detector gets confused and picks the wrong one.
Not sure how to improve detection so for now you can tell vgmstream which key to use by unzipping this in the hca folder: https://easyupload.io/lorltx
- by bnnm at 4:23 PM EDT on March 14, 2021
- I had a flash of inspiration and improved HCA key detection, so you don't need to do that anymore.
HCS Forum Index
Go to Page 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
Search this thread
Show all threads
Reply to this thread:
Halley's Comet Software