Previous Page | Next Page
- by unknownfile at 11:19 AM EDT on June 27, 2005
- Just discovered an issue: some songs won't play. I don't know why this is, but have fun with this set anyways.
- by Mouser X at 1:11 PM EDT on June 27, 2005
- Yes, you did say it before. However, even still I don't really know what to do with that info you gave me. What is gbsplay.asm and where do I get it? Once I've edited it, then what do I do? I'm fairly certain there's a step between "edit gbsplay.asm" and "convert GB ROM into GBA ROM."
If that sounds rude in any way, I don't mean it to be. I'm simply that clueless. Again, thanks in advance for the help. Sorry to be a bother. Mouser X over.
- by Mouser X at 1:40 PM EDT on June 27, 2005
- Hmmm... After looking around a bit, I think I figured out how to do it...
The info I was seeking (files, etc.) were located at http://www.zophar.net/gbs/ under the link "gbsplay.zip" The rest I googled for. Though I haven't done a conversion yet, it would seem that I now have what I need...
Since I can't do it right now, I'll perhaps let you know how it goes when I get the chance (this is of course for those who care, and want to convert GBS files into GSF files themselves...)
Anyway, sorry about that, UNKNOWNFILE. Thanks anyway. Mouser X over and out.
- by unknownfile at 4:35 PM EDT on June 27, 2005
- FOR TEH DUMMIES WHILE WERE STILL ON THE SUBJECT
You can get the stuff I use here
(It contains gbses and stuff I was working with, also contains fixed gbsplay.asm. The bat is kinda f*cked up, since I didn't use a commandline, rather, I just edited the BAT. Also includes the tools needed to compile gbsplay.asm)
Also, you'll need some technical knowledge for this. It involves knowing how an Intel processor reads bytes (the song load is backwards, the bytes read fb3fh instead of 3ffbh which is what you're looking for), and basic hex knowledge. Also, take note that when a GBA reads a file, it usually reads from the 0x8000000 area of memory (that's the ROM), and that's the offset you MUST write in minigsf. You'll also need to know the GBS spec. That's pretty much everything you need to know.
Also, here are some rules I follow:
-THOU SHALT NOT TAKE CREDIT FOR OTHER'S RIPS - always give the original ripper credit. In the RAR's comments field I usually write something like "Conversion by UNKNOWNFILE, gbs by (Person)."
-IF WAVETABLE CHANNEL IS COMPLETELY BROKEN, THOU MUST TOSSETH YE RIP - the Gameboy, as you may or may not know, has a programmable wave channel. A lot of the time it's referred to as PCM. Anyways, if your conversion gives you too many wrong notes, or no notes from this channel, I have no other choice to toss it.
-AT LEAST ONE TRACK MUST BE WORKING - that means ONE. If no tracks work, then it is considered bad, and we move on. (Super Mario Land 2 and Wario Land don't work with GBSPlay as of this writing)
-THOU SHALT MINIGSF YE CONVERSION - It's pretty easy, if you know hex knowledge. Once a GBA ROM is compiled, you'll need to make minigsfs out of it.
QUICK GBS SPEC FOR TOTAL IDIOTS
ASCII "GBS" - first three bytes
The next byte is just a version identifier
The 5th byte is the song count.
The 6th byte is the first song flag (what the Minigsfs will target)
The next two bytes after the first song flag are the load address (flipped. for example, if ABCDh was flipped it'd read CDABh)
Everything else is nonsense that's unneeded.
So, the first song flag for Donkey Kong Land 3 (once compiled to a gba rom) is located at 0xEAEE.
The max song flag is 27h (39 in decimal), so the minigsf command would be
minigsf dkland3 0x800eaee 1 40
You MUST increase the minigsf count by one, otherwise one song will be left missing.
So, there are your basic rules. Get converting!
Peter S. Conway
- by hcs at 6:10 PM EDT on June 27, 2005
- idiots are hereby encouraged to avoid attempting rips, the rest of you may go about your business
- Set updates by unknownfile at 8:24 AM EDT on June 29, 2005
- GSF SETS I'VE BEEN WORKING ON:
-Crash Bandicoot 2 N-Tranced - There is a song test feature that can be accessed when the Current Level identifier is hacked. I might consider using a savestate for the GSFLib. (That's your cue to add state support.)
-Minna no Oujisama - This game uses a complex sequence loading system, and since I can't figure it out the project is now up for grabs.
-Wario Ware Inc - I haven't done work on this one for ages now. I can blame it on my lack of ARM assembly knowledge or Caitsith2 who rushed to help me with the Krawall demo and Jazz Advance like in the past.
-Mawaru Made In Wario - Done some analysis on this one in gba2midi. I've figured out that the vocal track Kochira Mona Pizza uses multiple tracks (0x200 or somewhere in there), and that the game uses most of the sappy driver system, but not the driver core itself. I might attempt this one later. And I'm never doing a rip of the US version, because the localization sucked ass. I will not post a rant here, but all I can say is that I wasted my money on a horrible localization.
USF SETS I'VE BEEN WORKING ON:
-Lacmod demo - This one has horrible music. That, and I don't want to waste 9 mb on a set that only weighs a tiny bit.
-Dynamix first N64 intro - Another test to see if 64th note can play unoptimized usfs worked. I heard it has two tracks, but I might be teh wrong. Oh yeah, and this one has AWESOMEZORZ music ^^
Dynamix first N64 intro - 1.33 mb RAR (WARNING - might be a bit cpu intensive on older computers. My 3 ghz pentium runs winamp at 2% while playing these.)
Scroll UP for gsf beta rips.
- by hcs at 2:58 PM EDT on June 29, 2005
- Sweet, now this is what I like to see happening. I'll have it up on the USF list when I get the chance.
- by AI-M at 3:38 PM EDT on June 29, 2005
- Unknownfile, the American localized version of Mawaru Made in Wario (WarioWare Twisted) has completely different vocal lyrics. Is it possible to stick in both lyric versions (JP and US)?
- by Mouser X at 6:32 PM EDT on June 29, 2005
- I'm pretty sure the answer to that is a no. Unless, that is, he rips both games and includes a GSFlib file for both. I can't see any reason the lyrics to the US version would be present on the JP version. Since he already said that he's not going to do a US rip, chances are high that you're not going to get those US lyrics. At least not by him.
Anyway, hopefully that was helpful. Mouser X over and out.
- by unknownfile at 7:11 PM EDT on June 29, 2005
- I can't guarantee anything, really. Reasons for this are as follows:
-I can't figure out the sequence load position (this is always how I rip a gba game, I find the sequence load pos., hack it into the game, and get Caitsith2 to fix the ROM so it does nothing)
-I am required to go to camp on July 3rd, 2005 at 8:00 AM EDT, thus stopping work on ANY project until July 30th, 2005 at 5:00 PM EDT. While I am gone though, it is AGH SHIT AN EARWIG *pauses to kill it*
Thats better. It's impossible to give me a buzz while I am gone. I am not giving out the camper's email box, since it might fill up with teh excessive spam.
-Also, the US rip lyrics will not be included because I hate the US version's guts due to the addition of bad puns, voices more annoying than the original Japanese voices, and the modification of "Speed Up" to the unoriginal "Faster!".
Oh yeah, and the same-sex marriage bill passed in the House of Commons. Suck on that, homophobes!
Previous Page | Next Page
HCS Forum Index
Go to Page 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217
Search this thread
Show all threads
Reply to this thread:
Halley's Comet Software
Generated in 0.0165s;