- What soundfont/MIDI sets does Motoi Sakuraba use? by Control at 1:46 AM EDT on May 30, 2016
- While he does like to record piano, harp and recently the drums himself, I'm curious what MIDI instrument sets he uses for everything else.
Each Star Ocean and the Tales entry sort of represents each updated sound quality since 1996.
For example, Tales of Xillia, Mario Tennis Open, Tales of Hearts R (3 tracks only), Beyond the Labyrinth and Dark Souls (DLC tracks) all use the same soundfont before changing once more.
Since Tales of Xillia 2 he's been using the same set I think. He also needs to understand musical dynamics in area themes...
edited 1:47 AM EDT May 30, 2016
- by punk7890-2 at 3:09 AM EDT on May 30, 2016
- I'd imagine nowadays that he has some live recorded instruments. Also we have a thread for this type of thing.
I know the original sound version of Tales of Phantasia uses a Roland SC-88. The SNES version uses a mix of samples, mostly from a Korg M1 and a Roland SC-55. In the era of Tales of Symphonia he used quite a bit of samples from a AKAI disc called E-MU Classic Series Vol.3 Orchestral. He also continued to use a Korg M1 a bit. Nowadays he mostly uses East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra which is evident in Tales of Xillia, and Tales of Xillia 2. I've heard a bit of this library in Tales of Zestiria as well, not as much though. He still uses some old stuff like his iconic crash cymbals that I'm not sure where they are from.
- by MetalKnick at 3:41 AM EDT on June 10, 2016
- It seems like in Mario Tennis Ultra Smash he went back to whatever instrument sets he used in Tales of Symphonia 2 as made apparent by
I'll Go - Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Knockout Challenge Boss - Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
- by Control at 10:21 AM EDT on June 28, 2016
- Thanks, punk7890-2! I ended up purchasing the EWQLSO Gold edition.
Didn't pick up on that... so either he went back to it or the soundtrack is made up of tracks he made long ago for a possible Mario Tennis Wii that ended up being Ultra Smash for Wii U.
- by deathvine_68000 at 8:16 AM EDT on September 27, 2021
- What VST libraries is Sakuraba using nowadays or at least in the last few years?
Particularly the orchestral ones, such as the stuff in Tales of Arise, Eiyuden Chronicle or Valkyrie Connect (the more recent BGM) & Higurashi Mei, as well as his drumkits and guitars in Mario Golf Super Rush.
I think his Smash Bros Ultimate remix of Arch-Illager still used a few EastWest Ministry of Rock stuff.
Is he still using EastWest for orchestra or are they from other libraries?
HCS Forum Index
Go to Page 0
Search this thread
Show all threads
Reply to this thread:
Halley's Comet Software