- by datschge at 10:22 AM EDT on September 4, 2017
- Added # link to filtered "recently added & updated" lists.
- by Mouser X at 1:50 PM EDT on September 7, 2017
- I noticed, while looking for potential Motoi Sakuraba music, that if you search for a word with a dash in it, that it will find the letters/word prior to the dash, but will ignore the letters/word after the dash. In this case, obviously, tri-Ace. The "tri" is found (Tri Force Heroes comes up), as is tri-Crescendo, but any instances of "tri-Ace" aren't to be seen. As an experiment, I searched for "tri-Crescendo", and a number of "tri-Ace" instances showed up, but none of the tri-Crescendo titles.
I figure the search is seeing the dash, and interprets it as an "exclude matches" argument. Perhaps a fix could be, "only interpret the dash as an argument when it is preceded by a " " (space) character" (I haven't done any serious software development, so I don't know how easy this would be). Of course, this behavior could be ignored. If I can figure out what's going on, then most likely someone else can as well. I'm mostly pointing this out for those who expect different behavior, and don't bother to think about how the additional search arguments might be interpreted by the search engine.
And last, thanks for your work! This is a wonderful resource, and saves me from having to download "wget" and learn how to use it, to auto-download the entire archive... (yes, I did [very] briefly consider it). Mouser X over and out.
- by datschge at 7:58 PM EDT on September 7, 2017
- Hey Mouser X. Dashes are a special command of the full text search used, I unfortunately can't change its behavior. In general the full text search only searches for (case-insensitive) letters, all special characters are ignored unless they are used as command. So the equivalent to tri-Ace would be "tri ace". I'm not sure I should do such a replacement automatically, would you prefer that?
- by Mouser X at 9:49 PM EDT on September 7, 2017
- Thanks for the timely response. Yes, I think that's the behavior I would prefer. However, I can appreciate your caution on implementing that behavior. Perhaps instead a "compromise" (of sorts) could be a note that if a user wants to search for terms/words that have dashes in them, that they should either exclude the dash (ex: "tri ace" worked, as you said, and it gave me the results I was looking for) or use the "" marks (ex: ' "tri-ace" ' also worked).
Thanks for your work here. I certainly look forward to any improvements you have in mind. Mouser X over and out.
- by datschge at 7:46 AM EDT on September 8, 2017
- You are very welcome.
Added an automatic hint with a linked suggestion when it detects a dash without preceding space.
- by datschge at 12:00 PM EDT on September 20, 2017
- Update: Only show results count for systems/subdomains if count is bigger than 1.
HCS Forum Index
Go to Page 0 1 2
Search this thread
Show all threads
Reply to this thread:
Halley's Comet Software
Generated in 0.0039s;