Previous Page | Next Page
- by mudlord at 12:06 PM EDT on April 16, 2010
- @UF: And if I pull off shit like that, I get banned from the HydrogenAudio forums and my component gets blacklisted.
- by hcs at 12:27 PM EDT on April 16, 2010
- That's one reason I don't bother with fb2k. If I'm going to be targeting a proprietary player I might as well do the one that everyone uses. Which is not to say that I make any effort to prevent it being used with another player, as Josh's vgmstream port demonstrates.
foobar is just somehow more repugnant in that way than Winamp... the profit motive I can sort of understand, but whatever foobar's excuse is doesn't seem honest.
edited 12:37 PM EDT April 16, 2010
- by SmartOne at 2:08 PM EDT on April 16, 2010
- The cool kids use XMPlay.
- by hcs at 4:09 PM EDT on April 16, 2010
- Dunno, never really did anything for me over Winamp, and has the same objection as fb2k.
- by unknownfile at 6:18 PM EDT on April 16, 2010
- well, it's pretty much the only way to do something like that if you can't get it working through an api
just sayin' broseph
- by mudlord at 9:48 PM EDT on April 16, 2010
In that case, replacing everything to use XMPlay. All thats left is secure ripping....
- by Mouser X at 10:17 PM EDT on April 16, 2010
- Apparently, I'm in the minority here, these days. But I still use Winamp, and love it. Most of the stability issues people complain about have to do with individual plugins, and not actually Winamp itself. At least, that's the experience I've had. Yes, I've had problems with Winamp (I used to be "famous" for them), but in most instances, it could be traced to a specific plugin which was just plain wonky. Sometimes I still use those plugins, knowing full well that they cause problems. Other times, I've stopped using them (in_skool can do some awesome things, but geez is it buggy! I gave up on that one).
I tried XMplay, again, and I still don't see what it is about it that people like (excluding that you can get some old, screwy formats working in it. Which *could* be done in Winamp, but no one has written a plugin for it. :( Except in_skool. See above). Winamp serves my needs quite well, I like how it handles, I like using it. XMplay I find to be a nuisance. Mostly, I just want it to handle like Winamp, I guess.
Talking about replacements reminds me that Windows Explorer in Windows7 is tremendously frustrating! Frequently, it doesn't save my settings, often within the same session of usage. And, it doesn't scroll properly! I finally got fed up with it, and I started using UltraExplorer. While it has some quirks (frequently the columns resize after browsing away from a directory), at least it saves my settings! And it scrolls properly! And it's ridiculously configurable! I know that others here have recommended Total Commander, but I could never figure out how to set that up to resemble something I enjoyed using. As I'm sure you'll notice, UltraExplorer can be setup to look virtually identical to Windows Explorer (there's been numerous occasions when I mixed them up with each other). And although it can do that (which I like), it can also use tabbed windows, preview windows, command prompt (that's easy enough with Winkey, but it's nice that it can be done from within the UltraExplorer window), side-by-side folder browsing, and much more. With Total Commander, I always felt like I was a few years behind in computer usage. Not to mention that I never found it very usable. Largely, I miss the "folders" veiwpane, or what might be called the "directory tree list" (see here the window called "folders" on the left). If Total Commander has that, I never found it.
Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that, frequently, I have a difficult time seeing what it is that others like so much in their "replacement" programs. I guess that, in that regard, it all comes down to personal preference. Winamp handles the way I want to use it, XMplay doesn't. And I don't think the issues I have with XMplay can be fixed through a GUI plugin (though, I also don't think it supports those either). "What issues do you have?" you may ask. Well, it doesn't respond the way I want it too. For me to get more detailed than that, would most likely require IRC/Skype, and/or a video conference.
Mostly, for me Winamp works well, and responds the way I expect. Why should I change it, when the complaints I have are so few, and infrequent? Worst case scenario, I use XMplay to create WAV files from the non-Winamp-supported fromats, and create some LOGGs/ADXs (though, obviously, this creates files of an extremely much larger size. :( ). Really though, those non-supported formats aren't something I severely miss, so I'm fine living without them.
Anyway, I guess that's my rant for the day. Sorry about the extended length of text. Hopefully someone at least finds it useful (I've really enjoyed UltraExplorer so far. You should give it a try!). Mouser X over and out.
edited 10:20 PM EDT April 16, 2010
- by Mouser X at 10:26 PM EDT on April 16, 2010
- Yes, a double post. I felt this would have been out of place in my previous post. Chiptuned TV showtunes! Apparently there's a volume 1 (though, I don't think it's TV showtunes), and they're working on volume 3 right now. I'd download it now, but I'm not on a computer I can download from. And I thought that, if you haven't heard of it, there might be those here who would be interested.
Since I'm not gone yet, I read this, and decided it would be worthwhile to remember it for later. If anyone is interested in some Fantasy books, this might be worth looking at.
And last, I thought that this was quite humorous. April Fool's jokes played on a massive scale. Have fun! Mouser X over and out.
edited 10:47 PM EDT April 16, 2010
- by Elven Spellmaker at 10:52 PM EDT on April 16, 2010
- Seeing as this thread has no real topic, Imma post a question and hope someone knows the answer.
I found a thread a while back where PrimeBlue had ripped Mario Kart Double Dash and re-looped it etc.
I can't find that thread now. >.<
- by JudgeIto at 1:08 AM EDT on April 17, 2010
- There is a search function...
But I was bored, so.
Previous Page | Next Page
HCS Forum Index
Go to Page 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199
Search this thread
Show all threads
Reply to this thread:
Halley's Comet Software