- Aladdin in Nasira's Revenge (PC) - .ASF by Nicknine at 8:56 PM EDT on June 2, 2018
- The game stores music in ASF files which appear to have unknown encoding although they do have a header. I assume the audio is 22050 Hz mono like in PS1 version. There's also a codec module called asfcodec.adl in the executable directory if it's any help.
edited 9:05 PM EDT June 2, 2018
- by Nicknine at 9:27 PM EDT on June 2, 2018
- Found this old thread. kode54 commented that it seems like modified Microsoft ADPCM. Must be a custom codec made by Argonaut Games. Some guy posted a decoder but without the source code.
edited 10:54 AM EDT June 3, 2018
- by Nicknine at 6:11 PM EDT on June 3, 2018
- The decoder produces PCM audio that is heavily distorted. Either I'm doing something wrong or the format has been changed since Croc 2.
- by Nicknine at 2:47 AM EDT on June 25, 2018
- Bump. Has anybody looked into this? I've decompiled the codec module and it doesn't look complicated so I think it's possible to reverse it.
edited 2:47 AM EDT June 25, 2018
- by bnnm at 5:10 PM EDT on June 25, 2018
- I tried before but assembly is not my thing. I saw a bunch of functions doing (seemingly) ADPCM nibble decoding, but I wasn't familiar with the algorithm (some stuff looked vaguely inpired by PS-ADPCM?).
If somebody properly describes it I could implement.
- by bnnm at 7:03 PM EDT on July 17, 2018
- I added this, output is roughly the same as croc2asf2raw, but I don't think decoding is 100% correct.
Here what I thought were the decoding functions in asfcodec.adl: https://pastebin.com/ni9H0j8y
Trying to decode like that didn't work, but I'm not sure about the meaning of some parts.
- by Nicknine at 8:16 PM EDT on July 18, 2018
- IDA Pro can produce pseudo-code from assembly, perhaps that can help?
- by bnnm at 2:30 PM EDT on July 21, 2018
- Hmmm, somehow can't find the option. I'm using "IDA Pro Free" (7.0?). I'll see if I can procure something better, or could you post the pseudo-code?
(decoding functions are the 4 long-ish subroutines just before the entry point/DLL main, I think).
- by Nisto at 2:37 PM EDT on July 21, 2018
- @bnnm: Pretty sure the free version doesn't ship with any decompilers, so look for a copy of IDA Pro.
- by Nicknine at 12:43 AM EDT on July 22, 2018
- @bnnm - Here you go:
edited 12:43 AM EDT July 22, 2018
HCS Forum Index
Go to Page 0 1 2
Search this thread
Show all threads
Reply to this thread:
Halley's Comet Software
Generated in 0.0028s;