- Is VG Music Higher than 16-bit? by MoldyPond at 2:03 PM EDT on July 12, 2018
- I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but technically speaking (I would assume *all*) VG music is only going to have a 16-bit bit depth at best right?
- by kode54 at 6:26 PM EDT on July 12, 2018
- The formats in use generally either decode to 16 bit (from ADPCM), or decode to floating point (lossy with no real bit depth) and the floating point is converted when mixed.
- by MoldyPond at 8:10 PM EDT on July 12, 2018
- So basically having all my VG music ripped from the original files in foobar to 16-bit is not down-converting in any way?
- by Kurausukun at 8:40 PM EDT on July 12, 2018
- I've never seen a game that had anything higher than uncompressed 16-bit LPCM, and I doubt anyone would do that since people still generally like to keep audio as small as reasonably possible. As you probably know, Nintendo (and many other people) regularly use 4-bit audio.
- by MoldyPond at 10:38 PM EDT on July 12, 2018
- And yet the quality still sounds great (for the most part).
Thanks, just making sure I'm right to be wary of doubling the size of my music library just for the sake of "quality preservation" :)
- by kode54 at 8:39 PM EDT on July 14, 2018
- foobar2000 is not downsampling any of them, but VGMStream downsamples the output of MP3/Ogg Vorbis/Opus/WMA/Atrac3/plus/9 etc from floating point to 16 bit. You're not really losing anything by that conversion, though.
- by Kurausukun at 11:00 PM EDT on July 14, 2018
- What games use floating point? I've never seen that before.
- by kode54 at 2:37 AM EDT on July 15, 2018
- The codecs themselves use floating point, and I'm pretty sure that a number of modern games already use floating point for their internal mixing, and downmix to integer on output, unless the console library supports float as well. Floating point makes it easier to mix multiple streams without worrying too much about losing precision.
HCS Forum Index
Go to Page 0
Search this thread
Show all threads
Reply to this thread:
Halley's Comet Software
Generated in 0.0026s;