- How to extract MIDI files from .ssf (Saturn Sound Files)? by fedex1 at 5:36 AM EST on February 11, 2020
- I would like to convert .ssf files to .midi
I don’t need the tone/soundfont, I just need the midi file that is inside the .ssf file.
I’ve downloaded the .ssf file from the Zophar’s Music Domain (https://www.zophar.net/music/sega-saturn-ssf/nobunaga-no-yabou-tenshouki-with-power-up-kit) / and click on “Download original music files (224 MB)”
I seem to understand that first you need to get the .SEQ from the .SSF, using VGMToolBox -> Misc. Tools, xSF Tools, SSF, seqext/tonext Front End, I tried using it with drag & drop, it say “completed” but nothing really happened, it says something about needing Python.
Also I’ve tried downloading SEQ2MID but I really don’t understand how that work, probably you need to install python but I am not a programmer and don’t know what to do.
I then tried to understand how it works, I’ve installed python 2.7.13 (that is an old version) and run the .py script seqext/tonext (downloaded from http://snesmusic.org/hoot/kingshriek/ssf/) using CMD (execute from the directory of the script)
What the program ask is just:
Sega Saturn sequence extractor v0.07 by kingshriek'
Usage: python %s <filename(s)> <output directory>
I just write in the CMD: seqext.py Sikok.ssf output
and then it says:
--- Sikok.ssf: No sequence data found (and the output folder is created empty)
It is impossible that is not sequenced, I checked and it is not a stream audio, also verified with the ssfinfo.py that contains bank/tone/seq info
What can I do to get midi from .ssf?
If someone can make a video tutorial, or explain here, or just convert the files from the Zophar site I linked for me, I appreciate it very much!
Thank you everyone
- by fedex1 at 10:12 AM EST on February 11, 2020
- Ok I've managed to get the .py to work (let me say that the instruction are really really bad) infact you need to convert from .bin not from .ssf
Now I have many .SEQ
But I have to make SEQ2MID to work and obviously doesn't work, it say that is not compatible with my current Windows 10 64 bit version.
I don't know what to do once again
- by fedex1 at 2:33 AM EST on February 12, 2020
- So I used SEQ2MID with the help of DosBox, now I can get .midi but there is another problem of course. The midi I get aren't full songs, some songs just interrupt after 30-40 seconds.
What to do?
I noticed that songs that are not full are converted with this error line:
printf("unknown code: address %x, value %x\n", ftell(fp) - 1, ctl_byte);
edited 4:12 AM EST February 12, 2020
HCS Forum Index
Go to Page 0
Search this thread
Show all threads
Reply to this thread:
Halley's Comet Software
Generated in 0.0026s;