- Sega Saturn .XA extraction by Locke_gb7 at 9:38 AM EST on February 21, 2020
- Greetings, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on extracting/covnerting xa streaming audio from Sega Saturn games. Specifically, I am trying to get the music from "Segata Sanshirou Shinkenyugi"
I was able to unzip the XA files with poweriso, after searching for ages, I found only one way to convert them to wav and it was to user VGM Stream
I have the most recent version of the plugin for winamp. I am on windows 7 64bit.
However, most of the XA files show empty 0:00 and oens who don't is sound effects you can make up but with horrible static.
I could not find any way to get the music.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
- by almendaz at 8:11 PM EST on February 23, 2020
On first examination, .XA files are 2352/block, no wonder you get horrible static due to missing data (some 24 or 16 bytes per sector I guess). And pretty sure they should be SFX and VOICES, or cutscenes.
From playthrough, music does not sound streamed to me, maybe tracker/synthetized, and music could be in certain file container, maybe 'ENGDAT0'; .ARI should be filesystem distribution, I do not know their format, and .ARX should be the container proper. Music extraction would require SSF'ing them, with their driver, a process not too different to making a PSF for PSX music.
Some .XA files do not play, I think that's because they are not proper .XA (so not PSX of course), so VGMs cannot decode all of them correctly.
- by almendaz at 11:38 PM EST on February 23, 2020
- Some ARX extraction.
That's all I could do now.
- RE: Sega Saturn .XA extraction by Locke_gb7 at 4:02 PM EST on February 25, 2020
- Thanks for your help, so those are teh files that were contained in the arx file?
From what you tell me it doesn't seem possible to get the music from it right.
All the sounds are there which is bonus.
I guess it would take someone withe extensive knowledge on this subject, SSF and python to extract the music.
really appreciate your time :)
- by almendaz at 9:52 AM EST on February 27, 2020
- VGMt's SSFmake frontend requires Python 2, not 3 (unless heavy-editing .py script).
Included source files, and homemade .MAP file "28000".
Sounds bad/not perfect, maybe missing data ( referencing TONE data from 'unused' GM_MAP ??? ).
- Thanks by Locke_gb7 at 12:17 PM EST on February 29, 2020
- Thanks for your help :)
HCS Forum Index
Go to Page 0
Search this thread
Show all threads
Reply to this thread:
Halley's Comet Software
Generated in 0.0032s;