- Issue with Racing Gears Advance rip by Basillica at 7:32 PM EDT on April 14, 2020
- For some reason, the current GSF set for Racing Gears advance is sped-up from how it is in-game.
Recorded with mGBA: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z-hcHP_7ZjWoa_ZNkHrRsG_gbIiPCA32
Also, here's a link to someone else's YouTube upload recorded with a Gameboy Player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCKEuqRmLKo
- by ohdeer at 6:04 PM EDT on May 5, 2020
- I also noticed that there are problems with the Racing Gears Advance GSF rip.
About half the tracks are sped up - BGM #05, #08, #10, #11, #14, and #15.
Not sure whether it's the fault of the rip or the emulation in the player.
I might have contacted kode54 about this a couple of years ago on the GSF Decoder repo, but I don't remember ever getting a response. kode54, if you're reading, any chance you can look into this? TIA!
edited 5:58 PM EDT May 6, 2020
- by kode54 at 9:29 PM EDT on May 5, 2020
- Use gsf2rom, play it in mGBA, or play it on a real console. Is it still sped up? If so, it's the rip's fault.
- by ohdeer at 5:57 PM EDT on May 6, 2020
- Thanks for the reply, kode54.
I used Caitsith2's gsfopt.exe to do the GSF to ROM conversion and I played the converted GSFs on mGBA.
I can confirm that it is the rip's fault.
- by loveemu at 11:21 AM EDT on March 15, 2021
- Out of curiosity, I did some research on this issue. As mentioned above, this is a rip's fault.
The problem stems from the initialization function 0x8023E20.
The function accepts 1 or 2 as an argument and initializes the MusyX engine with different initialization parameters depending on the value.
The first BGM is initialized with 2, but the BGM for the race in question is initialized with 1. This causes a different frequency to be set for timer 1, resulting in this unexpected playback result.
My interest is shifting to the MusyX engine rather than the playback issue, but I think I will create a modified set for this nice soundtrack when I get around to it.
- by loveemu at 2:45 PM EDT on March 15, 2021
- Racing Gears Advance (2005-02-08)(Orbital Media)[GBA][Needs Cleaning].7z
It requires some finalization for the release. I hope you will handle it because I won't do.
- by ohdeer at 6:32 PM EDT on March 26, 2021
- Thanks loveemu! I'm glad I decided to check the HCS64 forums today :)
I've tagged and renamed the files in foobar2000. Here's a link - https://ufile.io/frf5oaxy. Link expires in 30 days.
- by Basillica at 4:01 PM EDT on March 30, 2021
- Thank both of you very much.
edited 4:02 PM EDT March 30, 2021
HCS Forum Index
Go to Page 0
Search this thread
Show all threads
Reply to this thread:
Halley's Comet Software